- Sem categoria
- No comments
Staff at Port of Aveiro (APA) are using services of data management and meteo-oceanographic forecasts based on the AQUASAFE system of Ria de Aveiro. These services are based on a set of computer tools developed at HIDROMOD that integrate data and meteorological, 3D hydrodynamics and wave forecasting models, to support navigation and port Operations. The system is able to issue warnings, automatically produce reports and publications on the web and connect to a mobile app.
HIDROMOD will cooperate with the Department of Physics of the University of Aveiro, which has developed high resolution models of currents and levels for different national and international estuaries, namely the extended hydrodynamic modelling work at Ria de Aveiro.
The adoption of these services by APA will in particular allow:
• Securely predict the access and operation conditions of different terminals based on high-resolution metocean information, highly relevant for port operations;
• Maintain a history of the meteorological conditions in which different types of operations were carried out;
• Maintain a reliable prediction of the height of the water column available for navigation inside Ria de Aveiro, which includes the effects of river flows, tide and storm surges. This information is of particular importance in restricted areas where depth limits vessel manoeuvrings;
• Maintain a reliable forecast of currents, sea level, winds and waves that can affect the available draft for ships entering the harboured area. Since these conditions vary a lot along the access channel, their knowledge is of great relevance for planning vessel access and pilotage activities;
• Maintain a reliable forecast of currents, sea level, winds and waves that can affect the operation of the ship at the wharf, from the point of view of the moorings, the movement of loads and any possible environmental restrictions of operation.
The contract began on February 20, 2018 and will extend for 3 years, similarly to others that HIDROMOD has established for port operations in Portugal and abroad.